[squeak-dev] Re: A little 4.1 press coverage

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 29 09:48:31 UTC 2010

On 29.04.2010, at 00:05, Ian Trudel wrote:

>>> That caught my eye. How do people actually develop with "one-click
>>> images"? I mean, I came up with that concept in the first place, but it was
>>> meant for deploying applications, not for development. You can't even save
>>> the image under a different name. So while I see the appeal to people giving
>>> it a casual look, do you really think that should be the default download?
>>> - Bert -
>
> Bert, saving an image under a different name in the installed
> directory will result into opening a dialog box to select an image.

Nope. Saving under a different name creates a copy. Next time you run, it will use the former image, the name of which is known to the VM. It's listed in Info.plist for Mac, squeak.ini for Windows, and squeak.sh for Linux/*nix.

> There is something to be clear about the whole thing, having to
> download a VM, an image and source files separately is newcomers
> unfriendly.

Agreed. Let's build it. But Amazon marketing be damned, please don't call it "1-click". Makes me cringe every time.

Actually ... I just made one. Only tested on Mac and Linux-i686, but chances are it works on Windows, too:

http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip

- Bert -