What Is the Law? (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Anyone out there have Glorp working in Squeak 4.1+ ?)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 03:41:04 UTC 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 7:24 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> Did you know that the license is LGPL?

F*{%!

:)

Isn't is weird how the legalese gets hard to interpret in the context of Smalltalk? What's the difference between "linking to" and a "derivative work," really? I suppose one might broadly interpret that to mean "loaded into the image but unmodified." But if one shipped an image with it loaded, would that image be a derivative work? Who knows?? And the worst part is, it would probably be next to impossible to explain this to a judge, who probably doesn't actually know what linking really is, much less what a persistent object memory is.

Seems like the safe thing to do is to ship one's code separately from it. Gah.

For the record, I Am Not A Lawyer!

Thanks for the heads up on that one, Levente. Meanwhile, I'm having more luck with the SS bits, so thanks again.

Since my intended application keeps everything behind a web server, things-GPL shouldn't be an issue for me, but it's food for thought.