[squeak-dev] Re: What Is the Law?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Aug 11 03:52:01 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Casey" == Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> writes:

Casey> Seems like the safe thing to do is to ship one's code separately
Casey> from it. Gah.

I recall a time when RMS claimed that even if The Software had
accomodated "interfaces" to GPL software, but it was up to the customer
to do the final linking as a routine matter for functionality (and The
Software had no functionality on its own without having been so linked),
then The Software was deemed to have been "distributed" with GPL
software, subject to the viral license.

I'm not sure whether his opinion withstood the test of time or common
sense, but it was definitely "out there" for a bit.

In any event, wearing my Squeak Board hat, I will continue to state that
it is the position of The Board that LGPL code is *incompatible* with
Squeak's license, and therefore will never be part of Squeak core,
unless it also gets relicensed under a compatible license by the
copyright holders.  Having said that, you can certainly *use* LGPL code
with your image... just be careful about redistributing it. :)