[squeak-dev] Re: What Is the Law?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Aug 11 18:54:47 UTC 2010

Randal L. Schwartz wrote on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:52:01 -0700

> In any event, wearing my Squeak Board hat, I will continue to state that
> it is the position of The Board that LGPL code is *incompatible* with
> Squeak's license, and therefore will never be part of Squeak core,
> unless it also gets relicensed under a compatible license by the
> copyright holders.  Having said that, you can certainly *use* LGPL code
> with your image... just be careful about redistributing it. :)

It would be better if we say that GPL and LGPL is unacceptable rather
than incompatible. Both the Apache 2 and the MIT licenses are defined to
be compatible with the GPL in the sense that they allow relicensing so
that the combined software can be released as GPL. But the board's
position is that Squeak shall always be under the Apache/MIT licenses,
so such a GPL image would not be Squeak but a new fork - that code can't
be accepted into the Trunk nor even into some future "full Squeak"
image.

To give you a concrete example, Self was released by Sun under an MIT
license. Some guys ported it to the x86 and Linux and decided to combine
it with gas (gnu assembler), so their version of Self was under the GPL.
In this case they were big fans of the GPL, but they really had no
choice (except for the choice of creating their own assembler). A few
years later, when the Mac moved to x86, Sun released their port under
the MIT license but didn't make any use of the previous work. So you
have to balance the need to keep people from "stealing" your work with
the possibility of them throwing away your work and doing it themselves.

-- Jecel