[squeak-dev] Re: problem with filein

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Aug 12 20:48:08 UTC 2010

Bert Freudenberg wrote on Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:20:15 +0200
> On 12.08.2010, at 20:48, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
> > On 8/12/2010 10:44 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
> >> So the file in had actually worked just fine, but at this point deleted
> >> all the instance methods that had just been created. This might cause
> >> problems for others, but I didn't call it a "bug" since each part is
> >> correct in itself. Perhaps there should be a warning for 1? I imagine
> >> that would be annoying and even scary when loading stuff out of order.
> >
> > What do you think about implementing ProtoObject class>>initialize as
> > an empty stub? This would act as a backstop for situations like these.
>
> It should not be empty but an error message "Never send initialize to
> super on the class side!"

This sounds good. Currently, ProtoObject has a single class method
(#initializedInstance) and I think it normally does its job (supporting
proxies and shared behavior between normal objects and nil) through
instance side methods.

Looking at the class side implementors of #initialize (out of the 764 in
this 4.1 image with Celeste) I see that only CornerGripMorph,
DateAndTime and TestCase do "super initialize". None of these would be
harmed by this change. Object class has an #initialize, so you do have
to be a subclass of ProtoObject to run into problems..

-- Jecel