[squeak-dev] Latest Trunk: WeakFinalizerList and WeakFinalizerItem are Undeclared (Weak Finalization not completely [or accidentally] in Trunk?)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Aug 12 21:25:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Enrico Spinielli wrote:

> Hi all,
> in latest Trunk (update: 10352) I run all tests and found that
> ReleaseTest>>testUndeclared
> is failing due to references to
>   WeakFinalizationList
>   WeakFinalizerItem
> in
>   WeakFinalizersTest>>testNewFinalizationSupported
>
> It seems to me that weak finalization was provided by Igor as a Mantis bug fix
> (see last email in thread [1] and related mantis bug [2]) but not in Trunk.
> Maybe remnants of it got in by accident or it has not been completely
> integrated in Trunk: it is difficult for me to dig further...

IIRC the packages for these classes are in the Inbox, though Igor said he
will rewrite parts of the image-side code. But to use this new
finalization mechanism, the VM has to support it. Currently the necessary
changes are not in the VM trunk. AFAIK Eliot is working on a new garbage
collector, which may make these changes obsolete.

Levente