[squeak-dev] Re: Scheduled Server Maintenance/Reboot for 8/23/2010

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Aug 16 18:54:37 UTC 2010

"The base laid plans of mice and men..."

OK, so I thought I'd schedule this a week in advance and plan it all out
so it goes smoothly and my blood pressure remains in the normal range.
I contact our hosting company to request that a remote console be
connected to the server on the 23rd so that if the server does not boot
up cleanly we can diagnose the problem and fix it ourselves if no
hardware changes are required.  Within a couple of hours of this request
the server goes down.

I send in a request indicating the server is down and to investigate.
As it turns out they restarted our server by mistake.  Well, to make a
long story short the server has been rebooted and all services seem to
be running fine so forget about the maintenance I scheduled for next
Monday, it's done.

Now to tell them to cancel the request for the remote console and hope
we don't get another reboot in the process...

Ken

P.S. Thanks to Marcus Denker through whom I have to relay requests to
our hosting company as he is still responsible for maintaining that
account.