[squeak-dev] Date[And]Time fractional seconds printing

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Aug 18 23:30:02 UTC 2010

Hi -

I've noticed a while ago that at some point in the evolution of Squeak
both Time as well as DateAndTime had "nano seconds" added.
Unfortunately, the default printing of both of these classes leads to
some extremely strange effects now. For example, where historically
something like

	DateAndTime now asUTC.

would print "2010-08-18T23:23:54+00:00" it now prints silly nonsense
like this: "2010-08-18T23:17:49.888000007+00:00" (I just found this in
one of our log files). Similarly, if you evaluate "Time now" you get
results like "4:22:07.369 pm".

In short, the question is: Is there any point whatsoever to print
fractional seconds by default? It seems to me that if you need to print
fractional seconds you might as well use some other selector and leave
#printOn: with the historical behavior of not printing fractional seconds.

Anyone in favor of preserving fractional seconds by default please raise
your hand and provide some arguments why such behavior would be preferable.

Cheers,
   - Andreas