[squeak-dev] Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Aug 21 13:06:46 UTC 2010

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 8/20/10 7:50 PM, "Juan Vuletich" <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

Just for the record. This started with you saying:
"You have a kernel and this is the Pharo Kernel, mostly Pavel work.
Why smart people like both you desire do all again ? "

>> So, you think that this Pharo Kernel would be better than Cuis as the
>> Squeak kernel? Why? Is anybody with a deep knowledge of Pharo Kernel
>> willing to help base Squeak on it?
>>
>> Are you asking why I do Cuis? Isn't
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html clear enough?
>>
>> Please, do answer these questions.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>

> First, don't take personal.
>
> Cuis is a very valuable fork, but until now I don't see how you go from Cuis
> to  any trunk complex image.
>
> Maybe is again my lack of skill...
>
> This also is true for the Pharo kernel.
>
> But in my (maybe wrong) view, the kernel is simpler.

Well, at least you did answer one of my questions. Maybe Pharo Kernel is
simpler. I don't know. But even if simplicity is of key importance to
me, I want a balance between simplicity and some other properties. For
instance, Dan's mini.image or Squeak 1.2 are much simpler than Cuis. But
I prefer Cuis anyway.

> No
>
> What community needs is HOW TO go from it to complex images in a documented
> way.
>

> Edgar

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich