[squeak-dev] Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 22 19:53:07 UTC 2010

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your offer! I've been talking to Juan about an approach that
might give us at least a feel about the size of the effort we're talking
about, namely to use the Cuis image and cluster all classes and methods
into three categories:
* Unchanged. Those classes and methods exist both in current Squeak
trunk and Cuis.
* Squeak-Only. Those classes and methods do only exist in Squeak.
* Modified. Those classes and methods are different between Cuis and Squeak.
The idea here is to get a feel for the size of the effort before it gets
into the details (i.e., it would help us to understand whether the
modified portions are 1% or 10% of the total size). Do you think the
approach would be equally applicable to your Kernel images?

Speaking of which, I'm not entirely sure what the scope or direction for
these images is. Can you say a little bit about whether there's some
underlying theme to this work (i.e., do you have actual use cases for
these kernel images) or is it mostly just an attempt to make things smaller?

Lastly, where can I find one of those kernel images these days? I'm
interested in seeing how different or similar the structure is, in
particular compared to Cuis.

Cheers,
   - Andreas