[squeak-dev] Why Cuis?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Aug 23 12:22:37 UTC 2010

Chris Muller wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Casey Ransberger
> <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To be clear: I am not arguing against rebasing the trunk on Cuis. I'm just not clear on what we gain by doing so, rather than by continuing to make packages unloadable, and by settling on a mechanism to reload them on demand, while keeping reasonable safeguards in place to make sure they'll work with a particular release.
>>

> Morphic 3?

Well, not really. Morphic 3 is not part of Cuis, it is a separate
project. Morphic 3 is experimental, Cuis is production quality.

>> My biggest concern is: has Cuis seen the same scrutiny that went into Squeak 4.0 with regard to licensing concerns? Have we run this idea past the SFC?
>>

> Ah, good point.  I hope Juan will comment about this.
>
>  - Chris

I've commented about Cuis being MIT clean in another message (just
minutes ago).

WRT asking SFC, I believe that if we need to ask SFC about doing this,
then we'd also need to ask them about any code we add to Squeak, no
matter how small. I see no difference. Given that Cuis is just a subset
of Squeak with additions made only by me, taking any part of Cuis and
mine to Squeak. This has already been done with the anti aliased
StrikeFonts (and the machinery to render them), the TextEditors, etc.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich