[squeak-dev] Why Cuis?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Aug 23 17:51:51 UTC 2010

Casey Ransberger wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:16 AM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org
> <mailto:juan at jvuletich.org>> wrote:
>
>> Portions of Cuis are:
>> Copyright (c) Xerox Corp. 1981, 1982
>> Copyright (c) Apple Computer, Inc. 1985-1996
>> Copyright (c) Contributors to Squeak and Cuis projects. 1997-2010"
>>
>> This is also included in the Cuis distributions, both in a txt file
>> and in text in a text editor inside Cuis.
>>
>> Isn't this clear enough?
>>
> As day; but a text file and an assertion isn't the same as being
> license clean.

Does this reasoning apply to to any other open source project? I mean,
does Squeak (for instance) offer anything but a text file and an
assertion? Any time you install open source in your machine, do you fell
the need to ask the developers if it is really so? Or you think Cuis is
missing something in this regard? I'm puzzled!

>> Besides, the code in Cuis is a subset of the code in Squeak after
>> Squeak was released under MIT, except for additions done exclusively
>> by me. My agreement to relicense my contributions to Squeak under MIT
>> is filed by VPRI, together with the rest of such agreements.
> This actually helps to answer my question. Thank you.
>
>> Please, don't create FUD for no reason.
> Juan: please. I just asked a question because I had a concern. I have
> no motive to create FUD.

I see. I'd really like to know the source of your concern... Any
computer, for instance, the one you're using right now, no matter if it
runs Linux, Windows or Mac, is filled with open source code, at least in
the form of libraries used by all these OSs themselves. I don't think
you needed to contact the developers of each one of them asking
specifically if the license is really the one that was stated in the
software, or the ancestry of the code. Again, I'm puzzled. Maybe I'm
missing something.

> I think the question that I asked was perfectly reasonable. YMMV.

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich