[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.1 debugger problems.

John Chludzinski john.chludzinski at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 20:36:28 UTC 2010

I set a number of break points in my code (self break.).  Had no problems
for a while BUT then I got the emergency debugger in the upper left corner
(Object>>primitiveError:).  Looking at the call stack showed a number of
problems:

1) CompiledMethod>>asString does NOT exist!

2) DebuggerMethodMap>>cacheDebugMap:forMethod:  appears to be deleting the
most recent (not oldest) entry from MapCache?

3) DebuggerMethodMap>>cacheDebugMap:forMethod: seems to loose entries in
MapCache?  After getting the keys for MapCache and trying to index
into MapCache, an errorKeyNotFound occurs.  I re-initialized the class
variables (MapCache, MapCacheEntries) by executing: DebuggerMethodMap
class>>voidMapCache.   This seemed to cure the problem BUT I did notice the
comment in DebuggerMethodMap>>cacheDebugMap:forMethod:  "There be race
conditions and reentrancy issues here".  What's the deal with this?

---John