[squeak-dev] Re: About unloading of packages in the most recent Squeak 4.1 trunk

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 17:55:19 UTC 2010

On 8/24/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> What I'm saying is that unless one is trying to move things between the
> unloadable packages, I see no reason to not have them in loadable order.

You mean that you want to treat all the unloaded packages as one large
image segment?

The attached drawing is intended to illustrate that we are talking
about Trunk update (black arrow , the current package) and update of
the image with packages unloaded (green arrow). And it seems that
'Reloading' has to be addresses as well (Red arrow).

The black and the green Trunk update could be combined in a single
update which distinguishes what packages are there (that was one
suggestion in this thread).
The other idea is just to have two different trunk updates - one for
the minimal image, one for the unloaded packages.

I read in the meeting notes that the infrastructure has to be set up
for this and as the discussion in this thread has show so far

1) Unloading works actually fine
2) But there is the need for an infrastructure around it (this
includes 'reloading')

--Hannes