[squeak-dev] Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Enrico Spinielli enrico.spinielli at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 25 23:31:29 UTC 2010

I gave it a quick try:
1. updated to latest Trunk from image Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip from
http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/
2. run all unit test

Both 1. and 2. run quite faster than with previous VM versions and no crashes.
I played with moving a browser around via Etoys scripting and got no surprises.

Thanks a lot
Bye
Enrico

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 00:12, John M McIntosh
<johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> I've stuck a version (5.8b3) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based VM in my experimental folder.
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b3.app.zip
>
> This VM is built from the Cog sources (with some minor changes for the iPhone) & revised & fixed Socket Plugin.
> It currently does NOT contain any external plugins.  I did check in the changes to squeakvm.org that are required to
> build this VM excluding the required Cog changes...
>
> People are invited to take it for a whirl, report any performance gains, issues and especially crashes.
>
> PS
>
> (a) yes shortly we'll get the iPhone changes folded back into the source tree so you can build the VM.
> (b) yes when resizing a window you get neat graphic effects (fixing that issue is non-trival).
> (c) As time permits we'll look into rebuild this rather long list of plugins.
>
> ClipboardExtendedPlugin.bundle
> CroquetPlugin.bundle
> CurlPlugin.bundle
> FloatMathPlugin.bundle
> FT2Plugin.bundle
> IA32ABI.bundle
> KedamaPlugin.bundle
> KedamaPlugin2.bundle
> LocalePlugin.bundle
> mpeg3Plugin.bundle
> ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle
> OggPlugin.bundle
> PrintJobPlugin.bundle
> QuicktimePlugin.bundle
> RomePlugin.bundle
> SerialExtendedUnixPlugin.bundle
> ServicesPlugin.bundle
> SpellingPlugin.bundle
> SqueakFFIPrims.bundle
> TestOSAPlugin.bundle
> UnixOSProcessPlugin.bundle
>
> --
> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
"Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick