[squeak-dev] Documentation Team

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 07:22:26 UTC 2010

Hello Tobias,

On 8/26/10, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 2010-08-26 um 07:26 schrieb Hannes Hirzel:
>
>> On 8/26/10, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> CURRENT ACTION FOCUS
>>>
>>> That said, I think the web facing docs are a lower priority than gettin
>>> some
>>> good documentation written.
>>>
>> I agree with the priority setting. We need to produce more
>> documentation _within_ the image.
>>
>> And as the tool to stay organised we have chosen Mantis.
>>
>> Generating a web version of it (something like Javadoc) - I am pretty
>> sure we will find somebody to do it. Similar things have been done in
>> the past.
>

> Reading that, can we interface http://soek.goodies.st/ somehow?

Thank you for providing the pointer. Was this the web interface we
were talking about in April this year?

As a whole I favor focusing on let's say getting some of the class
comments fixed before exposing the image to the web.

However a web documentation is something useful for people coming from
Java for example as they are used to JavaDoc. As soon as they have
learned navigating around in a Smalltalk image there is less a need
for it.

Another thing: It would be good to have a huge alphabetical list with
all method names and their class comments to analyse with standard
Unix tools (e.g. grep).

And the same thing for all categories and classes and class comments.

And classes ordered alphabetically with their comments.

Just three huge files.

This would make feel people coming from other environments more
comfortable at the beginning.

Which are the Smallltalk code snippet to do this?

--Hannes