[squeak-dev] Quicktime

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:12:34 UTC 2010

On 8/26/10, John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> In looking at this the choice for the Sophie team was:
> We had to support various codec (lots) and acquire legal licenses to use
> them, which was insane...
>
> We did however add in the ogg support via the work done for OLPC for folks
> who choose not to have Apple, Microsoft, or Franuholfer
> trample on their machine.

I would say that from the Squeak documentation point of view  videos
in  Ogg format would be doable and the minimum thing to have. The rest
is nice to have.

> Sadly most people just *expect* any form of media they've downloaded from
> anywhere just to work.
Yes, and if we have Quicktime than this is great of course.

However I remember that earlier Squeak versions could play mpeg
videos. How was that done at the time?

--Hannes