[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-mha.362.mcz

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 20:05:55 UTC 2010

On 8/26/10, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/8/26  <commits at source.squeak.org>:
>> Michael Haupt uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-mha.362.mcz

>> Name: System-mha.362
>> Author: mha
>> Time: 26 August 2010, 9:03:04.776 am
>> UUID: 54a02fd0-31d0-4a23-af2e-0d8410ff82b9
>> Ancestors: System-hjh.361
>>
>> Added an example to the comment of SystemNavigation.
>> (Submitted by Hannes Hirzel.)
Actually the code snippet is taken from a mail of Andreas Raab earlier
this year answering a question of Casey how to deal with different
images one has been working with.

>> =============== Diff against System-nice.360 ===============
>>
>> Item was changed:
>>  Object subclass: #SystemNavigation
>>        instanceVariableNames: 'browserClass hierarchyBrowserClass'
>>        classVariableNames: 'Default'
>>        poolDictionaries: ''
>>        category: 'System-Support'!
>>
>> + !SystemNavigation commentStamp: 'mha 8/26/2010 09:02' prior: 0!
>> - !SystemNavigation commentStamp: 'sd 4/15/2003 22:30' prior: 0!
>>  I support the navigation of the system. I act as a facade but as I could
>> require some state
>> + or different way of navigating the system all my behavior are on the
>> instance side.
>> +
>> +
>> + For example if you want to look at all methods you have written or
>> changed in the current image do
>> +
>> + SystemNavigation new browseAllSelect: [ :method |
>> +        method fileIndex > 1 "only look at changes file"
>> +        and: [ method timeStamp beginsWith: 'your-initials-here' ] ].
>> +
>> + !
>> - or different way of navigating the system all my behavior are on the
>> instance side!
>>

> 2 questions:
> - is there any interest in using SystemNavigation default rather than
> new and why ?
I thought about this too. It seems that SystemNavigation has a single
instance (the default one) which is special but at the same time there
could be several of them according to the existing comment. I do not
see yet the full picture.

> - should class comment use first person ?
>
> I see 1 advantage using "SystemNavigation support navigation in system
> source code...." rather than "I support ..."
> the former is not contextual and can be extracted as is to a web page,
> a book, etc...
Yes.

> The later requires more work - like prepending the page with class
> name - unless such a title is required anyway...
Maybe we just could start like

This class supports navigation in the system

I have no final opinion yet...

--Hannes