[squeak-dev] MPEG Player

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 17:57:38 UTC 2010

Every project needs a quick victory to create some momentum, so I've taken a
slight detour from Sophie to Scratch. I've uploaded a player taken from
Scratch to http://www.squeaksource.com/MultiMedia.html. (Writable to all)

You can load it into an updated 4.1 image. Then you can get a movie file to
put on your desktop from here:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/1/castle.mpg.zip

In a Workspace, you can enter:

MoviePlayerMorph new openInWorld

do it, and you'll get a player. Hit the "Open" button, find the "castle.mpg"
you just downloaded, and you'll have something that looks like this:

http://www.smalltalktelevision.com/player.jpg

Then you can press "Play" and listen and watch the bird. To "Play" again you
need to "Rewind" first.

The file is an MPEG1 Muxed. It is quite old and if this player can play
anything else, I couldn't say.

It's a pretty humble beginning, but seeing as I posted the idea less than 48
hours ago, and now you're looking at a movie in 4.1, I think that's a solid
start.

Chris