[squeak-dev] Cryptography in trunk (Re: [Cryptography Team] Re:DigitalSignatureAlgorithm>>#initRandomNonInteractivelyis not random)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 28 15:42:45 UTC 2010

(changed subject for better tracking)

On 8/28/2010 3:59 AM, Rob Withers wrote:
> Done. The following packages are in the Inbox:
>
> CryptoCore
> CryptoCoreTests
> CryptoExtras
> CryptoExtrasTests
> CryptoCerts
> CryptoCertsTests

Thanks, Rob. I did a quick check and it's pretty close to what I was
thinking in terms of structure (although I would rename CryptoCerts to
just Certificates but that's a minor issue). As for inclusion, I *think*
we should probably include CryptoCore and CryptoExtras in trunk but not
the certificates package. My reasoning here is that people usually need
the key crypto algorithm and cert handling usually goes together with
other things (like SSL etc) and should probably be loaded when that is
loaded. This is also partly why I would prefer a package Certificates
because it would mean that the "Cryptography" stuff (Crypto-Core,
Crypto-Extras, Crypto-Tests) is in trunk, whereas the Certificate and
SSL package remain in the Cryptography repository on SqueakSource. But
I'd like to hear other opinions on this.

Also, I've checked the CryptoCore package and we'll need to do something
about the extensions at some point. Several of them are reasonable (in
fact, I like some of them very much like ByteArray bit manipulation
which is extremely useful and should be part of the regular BA protocol)
but some of them are duplicates (ByteArray unsignedLongAt:) and others
are just obscure (String destroy etc). However, except from the
conflicts we probably don't have to address these in the first round.

Cheers,
   - Andreas