[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.1 / Seaside / "One-Click" images

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 28 15:54:07 UTC 2010

Hi John,

[cc: squeak-dev so we don't lose track of this issue]

On 8/25/2010 10:59 AM, John McKeon wrote:
> Sorry I let this fall to the wayside.

No problem, we're all busy :-)

> The script is of course a far superior method. The following changes
> would give a "complete" Pier installation with a running Pier instance
> created.

I'll make sure we add this as soon as Seaside goes final. Unless (hint,
hint) someone wants to take a run at updating the Seaside3 images at
http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/ ?

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de
> <mailto:andreas.raab at gmx.de>> wrote:
>

>     I think the best way would be to extend the build script. It's
>     currently as simple as can be:
>
>             Installer squeaksource
>                     project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>                     install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
>                     install: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
>                     install: 'ConfigurationOfPier2'; <--
>
>          Add:   install: 'ConfigurationOfPier2AddOns'.
>

>             (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
>             (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2) load.
>             (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2) load.
>
>            (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2AddOns) load.
>            PRDistribution new register.
>
> What is the benefit of using the Smalltalk at: pattern?
> #ConfigurationOfXXX load does the same thing, no?

Not if you execute it as one doIt. Using "#ConfigOfFoo load" would send
the message load to the symbol #ConfigOfFoo (not the class) but using
"ConfigOfFoo load" would mean that ConfigOfFoo is Undeclared when
evaluating the entire doIt, giving raise to the compiler complaining
about an undeclared variable. You are right though that if the above
were executed line-by-line it would be the same.

Cheers,
   - Andreas