[squeak-dev] Sophie MPEG Player

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Aug 28 18:34:10 UTC 2010

Ok, it's fairly impossible to rely on GStreamer on os-x. The problem is that you need to use MacPorts or something as root to
install giga-bytes of software related to GStreamer.  That's just not likely, too much magic for MacIntosh users.

Sophie btw did deal with multiple layers of codec support and would ask the plugins if they supported OGG or MPEG and work
their way down to a solution. It used a weighted decision tree for that, so for example if the Ogg audio was supported by
a codec in Quicktime that the user had installed it would take the quicktime logic path, versus the Ogg plugin path..

So if you had an mpeg video it would play nicely on your mac with quicktime, or on windows if quicktime was installed, or fall back to
the mpeg player code if supported on linux.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882