[squeak-dev] Re: Date[And]Time fractional seconds printing

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 29 02:18:35 UTC 2010

Hi David -

On 8/28/2010 9:55 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> I don't like the idea of having #now disregard fractional seconds.
> Effectively that means that a request for the current time gets
> automatically rounded or truncated to the nearest second, which is
> just plain wrong.

I see your point, but I disagree. To me this is a classic question of
"what should the default be?". And the default should be what most users
of #now expect. From the code that I've looked at, I still haven't found
any place that would benefit from fractional seconds. If that is true,
then I think the default should be whole seconds, with a protocol
allowing to ask for fractional seconds if that case ever comes up. If
you know of any examples in the current system that benefit from
fractional seconds in #now I'd really love to see them.

BTW, does anyone know what the result of "Date[And]Time now" is in other
systems? What do VW, GST, and others return? Whole seconds or fractional?

Cheers,
   - Andreas