[squeak-dev] Re: Protocol Buffers anyone?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 1 15:59:31 UTC 2010

On 12/1/2010 5:26 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:
> I want to build an API for Riak (awesome NoSQL db) and there is a choice
> of using HTTP or Protocol Buffers. Evidently Protocol Buffers offer a
> quite higher degree of performance so I am leaning towards that.
>
> Now, has anyone dabbled with implementing Protocol Buffers for
> Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk? Couldn't find anything.

I haven't seen anything. But from my understanding protocol buffers are
an (efficient) RPC data representation, not a transport protocol like
http. In other words, the comparison between protocol buffers and http
doesn't make sense at this level (protocol buffers can be used WITH
http), it should be between protocol buffers and JSON, XML or some other
serialization format. You might want to dig into that first before
making a decision.

Cheers,
   - Andreas