[squeak-dev] Re: Protocol Buffers anyone?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Dec 1 17:52:47 UTC 2010

Hi!

On 12/01/2010 04:59 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 12/1/2010 5:26 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:
>> I want to build an API for Riak (awesome NoSQL db) and there is a choice
>> of using HTTP or Protocol Buffers. Evidently Protocol Buffers offer a
>> quite higher degree of performance so I am leaning towards that.
>>
>> Now, has anyone dabbled with implementing Protocol Buffers for
>> Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk? Couldn't find anything.
>
> I haven't seen anything. But from my understanding protocol buffers are
> an (efficient) RPC data representation, not a transport protocol like
> http. In other words, the comparison between protocol buffers and http

Yes.

> doesn't make sense at this level (protocol buffers can be used WITH
> http), it should be between protocol buffers and JSON, XML or some other
> serialization format. You might want to dig into that first before
> making a decision.

Sure, but you may have misunderstood me - there *are* two available APIs
to use for Riak - one is HTTP based with JSON and the other is a binary
Socket protocol using Protocol Buffers. Sorry for being too inspecific.

Either one would be awesome to have - and if I opted for the HTTP
protocol I would use your WebClient (MIT license now, right?).

And btw, Riak - for those who do not know - is IMHO the most promising
NoSQL db of them all. It's coolest feature is pure
"just-add-another-box"-scalability - it is AFAIK the most Dynamo-ish db
out there as open source.

regards, Göran