[squeak-dev] 4.2 code freeze

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 5 15:49:38 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 06:52:08PM -0800, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> O-Completion: +1
>
> Yes oh yes please include O-Completion in 4.2. When we figure out what we're
> doing about easy loading of "Community Supported Packages" we can think
> about pulling it back out and making it an easily loadable package.

IIUC, the O-Completion package is very actively maintained on SqueakSource
and is already loadable in Squeak trunk. Making a fork of this in Squeak
sounds to me like a Really Bad Idea.

What would be a good idea is to *document* how to load O-Completion
(probably in one of the welcome workspaces that appears when the image
is first opened), so that a first time user can open Squeak 4.2 and
easily see how to load this package. I just tried loading it myself,
and it loads cleanly and works as advertised. What's not to like? :)

Dave

> This is something that I can show developers who are new to Smalltalk that
> they'll recognize and appreciate. I think it's a really big win.
>
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's December, and time to consider freezing the 4.2 code base.  If we
> > can push any final enhancements and image documentation desired for
> > 4.2 in over the next week, we can freeze officially on the 11th.  Is
> > this ok?

Yes this sounds good to me.