[squeak-dev] 4.2 code freeze

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Dec 5 21:18:44 UTC 2010

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010, Chris Muller wrote:

> It's December, and time to consider freezing the 4.2 code base.  If we
> can push any final enhancements and image documentation desired for
> 4.2 in over the next week, we can freeze officially on the 11th.  Is
> this ok?

I think it's better to freeze at a week boundary, because some people
only have time for Squeak developement on weekends. So I suggest freezing
the code on the 12th of december at 11:59 pm UTC.

> We should begin considering the release-notes.  What is the easiest
> way to identify everything that's one into 4.2 since 4.1?

If you start the update process from a 4.1 image, then the update logs
will contain all code changes. It's still far from perfect, but it's a
good start. Another option is to collect information from the daily commit
log mails.

> Some of the items listed at the 4.2-release page
> (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6160) are:
>
>  - Integration of Cryptography
>  - Documentation
>  - Integration of O-Completion
>
> What do we all think about integration of O-Completion?  Levente
> already did the work, it makes the IDE that much more useful and
> modern and, it can be turned off.  Shall we include that?

I think we shouldn't fork OCompletion (just look at what happened to
Shout, SmaCC, OB/RB, RFB, etc), but since some of you would like to have
it in the release, the only way I see is to release a developer image
with preinstalled tools besides the usual release.

> What What else do we need to consider for the 4.2 image release?

There are
- broken package dependencies
- failing tests in the image
- bugs on Mantis
- pending contributions in the Inbox
- VM issues

There were plans for releasing 4.2 with SqueakVM and CogVM too. What's the
status of the current VMs? Will they be ready for the release?

Levente