AW: Re: [squeak-dev] 4.2 code freeze

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Sun Dec 5 21:38:48 UTC 2010

Tim Felgentreff wrote:

> Since Squeak presents itself to the newcomer as an integrated development
> environment, it should act that way, too, imho. Having a good one-click,
> out-of-the-box experience is crucial if we want new people to come and
> stick to Squeak

+1.  For attracting new Squeakers, I agree that it's crucial to have all the
dev tools expected by the market.  Leave the tweaking to the experts e.g.
"Bare-bones the system" instead of "extend the system" for bread and butter
IDE features.

Tim Felgentreff wrote:

> otherwise they'll simply go on and use Pharo.

Or drop Smalltalk altogether!  Until a year ago, I thought Smalltalk was a
strange dead language.  Lacking features that are basic in other
environments will not combat this impression.

Sean