[squeak-dev] Creating temporary classes for testing

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Thu Dec 9 01:05:56 UTC 2010

I was playing with creating temporary classes for testing in a separate
SystemDictionary, so I don't have to worry about removing them.  But I'm a
little beyond the boundary of my knowledge (although I stepped through it in
the debugger and it seemed pretty straight forward).  Are there any hidden
side-effects/implications of the following?  Specifically, after the
SystemDictionary is garbage collected, is the system exactly the same as it
was before the code was run:

  testingEnvironment := SystemDictionary new.

  ClassBuilder new
	name: #AClassForTesting
	inEnvironment: testingEnvironment
	subclassOf: Object
	type: Object typeOfClass
	instanceVariableNames: ''
	classVariableNames: ''
	poolDictionaries: ''
	category: 'TemporaryTesting'.

  morph := (testingEnvironment at: #AClassForTesting) asMorph openInWorld.
  morph delete.

Thanks.
Sean