[squeak-dev] "welcome" projects for 4.2

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 11 23:36:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 06:14:52PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
> One of the discussions about the upcoming 4.2 release in this week's
> Board meeting was about what to include in the official image. There is
> a tension between too bare of an initial impression and loading stuff
> that is not universally needed. One obvious solution is to have multiple
> official images (kernel, plain trunk, funSqueak, web development and so
> on) and this may be adopted in the future, but it was decided that it
> would be more practical to release a single image for 4.2 which should
> be as close as possible to "plain trunk".

Yes I think this is the right thing to do. Having multiple versions
of the image is confusing (and also a lot of work to support). Many
people who download the "official" image will also be interested in
keeping up with the trunk, so making these as similar as possible is
a good thing.

> Official images are not just code, however, but have included text
> windows with helpful information and even whole projects with neat
> demos. The approach of using demo projects to showcase the system's
> possibilities to new users can be seen in recent Etoys distributions,
> though in that case the projects are not actually in the image (which is
> read-only) but exist as separate files on disk and are loaded as needed.
> In the older Squeaks the projects were part of the image, but were
> trivial to delete cleaning up the user interface and releasing the
> little extra memory they were using.
>
> One alternative would be to include projects in the plain trunk image to
> show off advanced features not loaded into the image. The project could
> include a little button in the background attached to a script to load
> all the extra code needed to do what it is explaining. The user would
> have to choice to quit without saving if the feature turned out not to
> be interesting or to save the image and keep that code even if the demo
> project is itself deleted.
>
> If the community finds this an interesting option, then people would
> have to volunteer to build these projects. I am supposing this will be
> an artistic effort rather than a programming one writing the script to
> load the code is simple enough.
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a good thing to do. Edgar's FunSqueak is a great
illustration of this approach in practice. It provides a way to easily
explore some of the extended possibilities of Squeak. Indeed, some
of Edgar's work might be exactly what we need here :)

I cannot personally make much of a contribution to this, but I hope
that some of the folks with an artistic bent will take an interest.
Also, if any of the FunSqueak content could be included, that might
be a good first step.

Dave