[squeak-dev] Re: OSProcess on Mac?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 13 01:15:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 01:03:21PM -0700, Ken G. Brown wrote:
> Where can I get XDisplayControlPlugin?
> As Bernhard mentioned, it complains that it is missing when trying to run tests.
>
> Ken

XDisplayControlPlugin is on SqueakSource in project XDCP. There
are now three plugins used by OSProcess, all of which started out
as part of the OSProcessPlugin, but over time I split them apart
into separate plugins. These are:

	http://squeaksource.com/OSProcessPlugin
	http://squeaksource.com/AioPlugin
	http://squeaksource.com/XDCP

It should be possible to compile XDisplayControlPlugin on Mac,
but if I understand correctly (?) the Mac VM does not use X window
for its display, so the XDisplayControlPlugin would not serve any
useful purpose on the Mac VM. OSProcessPlugin definitely works on
Mac, and I expect that AioPlugin should work, although I can not
personally confirm it.

So this is a long-winded way of saying the the forkSqueak function
is basically a unix/X11 hack, and I don't really know what it would
take to implement something similar for the Mac VM.

Dave