[squeak-dev] Gofer versus Installer was: The Trunk: Morphic-laza.489.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 21:24:26 UTC 2010

Hi Miguel, working on your provocative prose again, I see..??  :-)
It's doing really good, so you should transfer some of your focus to
gaining a better understanding about what the other legacy formats are
for.  MC is a SCM tool _complimentary_ to, not a replacement for, the
legacy formats.

For example, I would not use MC-overrides to alter existing system
methods.  It's easier to use a ChangeSet for that.  I know you
probably never deviate from a standard Pharo system, but Squeak is
about being a system that can be modified, and is.

SqueakMap is a package *catalog* that merely provides access to
software and *resources* regardless of where or what format they're
in.  MC or Metacello simply don't provide support for external
resources.

Yes, "Monticello is the current de facto format for
storing/publishing/sharing new code and new releases of packages."  No
argument there.  Squeakers were using MC years before you busted onto
the scene.  It's just that MC doesn't do all the things the "dodo"
does, and nor should it because it's a different tool; a SCM tool.

HTH,
  Chris