[squeak-dev] Re: Unicode strings, benchmarks

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Wed Dec 15 07:27:32 UTC 2010

At Thu, 11 Nov 2010 00:16:36 -0800 (PST),
Eno wrote:

> Hi Yoshiki
>
> I'm a Chinese user, actually traditional Chinese ( using big5 encoding).
>
> I'm bothered by it, too, Squeak could not show our fonts in the UI, though
> there is no problem in the redered web pages by Seaside 3.0. That means the
> encoding is corrent (UTF-8) but the font is missing.
>
> Why squeak could not display the encoding correctly as others do? is it
> related it's unique way of interpreting the encoding, not by the OS API.
>
> Some questions want to ask:
>
> How is the file latin2.out made?
>
> Can we just use windows system font instead?
>
> if not, how could we make chinese.out ?

  Sorry for taking forever to answer this.  I dug up the font files I
created while ago and uploaded them to:

http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/uSimplifiedChineseFont.out
http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/uTraditionalChineseFont.out

  In the Etoys development image, you can load it by evaluating:

StrikeFontSet installExternalFontFileName: 'uSimplifiedChineseFont.out' encoding: SimplifiedChineseEnvironment leadingChar encodingName: #SimplifiedChinese textStyleName: #DefaultMultiStyle.

The trunk image seems to be missing some methods to make it run,
however.

-- Yoshiki