[squeak-dev] Re: Mac App Store opens January 6

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 22:49:51 UTC 2010

2010/12/16 Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu>:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
>
>> Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>>
>>> So we should be ready to provide Squeak, Pharo, Etoys et al on the
>>> Mac App Store on 6/1/2011.  John, any advice or should I just go ahead
>>> and submit Cog and Squeak 4.1 trunk and see what happens?  Other
>>> cautions suggestions anybody?
>>
>> I hope it works out! Since I am not a developer, I don't know if this
>> leaked version of the "terms of use" is true and current:
>>
>> http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-mac-app-store-approval-guidelines/65022
>>
>> These parts might be a problem:
>>
>> # 2.16
>> #
>> # Apps that download or install additional code or resources to add
>> # functionality or change their primary purpose will be rejected
>>
>> # 2.21
>> #
>> # Apps may not use update mechanisms outside of the App Store
>>
>> And these might or might not be a problem (since the GUI inside the
>> window is different, but the menus and the window stuff is Mac
>> compatible):
>>
>> # 6.3
>> #
>> # Apps that do not use system provided items, such as buttons and
>> # icons, correctly and as described in the Apple Macintosh Human
>> # Interface Guidelines will be rejected
>>
>> # 6.4
>> #
>> # Apple and our customers place a high value on simple, refined,
>> # creative, well thought through interfaces. They take more work but
>> # are worth it. Apple sets a high bar. If your user interface is complex
>> # or less than very good it may be rejected
>>
>> At least there isn't the code generation limitations of the iOS App
>> Store.
>
> Most web browsers and all virtualization software would be rejected
> according to these terms.

Yep, Apple bar seems to high for professionally made software.
Btw, XCode neither having good interface nor easy one. So ban it. :)

It is adequate only for casual software like Pocket Heat
(http://www.psfk.com/2010/01/iphone-app-overworks-components-to-warm-hands.html)

I don't understand, why we need to jump into this bandwagon of bigots?
Will presence on App Store change anything for Squeak? I don't think so.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.