[squeak-dev] Design Attitudes

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Fri Dec 17 22:31:56 UTC 2010

Chris,

You've reminded me of another of my sayings.

You know the phrase about the bride wearing "something old, something
new, something borrowed, something blue"?

Well I've thought for a very long time that every release of software
should include "something _rewritten_, something new, something
borrowed, something blue":)

It's always been hard to convince a manager that you'll spend the next
several months working on the new release where your goal is that
nothing has changed (externally), but you've restructured in preparation
for the new round of features and done something about the accumulated
cruft ...

It's also hard to convince a developer to spend time working on
something old instead of something new:)

The idea of mixing up a release with a little bit of rewrite and little
bit of new is that you don't have to spend all of your time on the old...

Dale