[squeak-dev] Dorado (was: Squeak on Android)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Dec 22 21:39:24 UTC 2010

Dan Ingalls wrote on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:16:13 -0800
> Awesome.  For some reason this really grabbed me -- This is about the
> speed we achieved on the Dorado - the fastest of Xerox's microcoded
> D-machines when we were first taking Smalltalk public.  That machine
> could not be carried by two people, let alone one, gobbled power and
> had to live in a separate room due to the fan noise.
> A phone...  yeah

The number I have often seen associated with the Dorado is 400,000
bytecodes/sec, which is 80 times slower than Jon's phone and 100 times
slower than John's tuned iPhone VM. I just use 0.5Mbc/sec for the Dorado
to make the math a bit simpler. Since the Dorado could execute 14
million microcode instructions per second, this would mean 28 microcode
instructions per bytecode which does seem rather high. But I really
can't imagine it needing less than 10 microcode instructions per
bytecode, which would result in a peak of 1.4Mbc/sec.

-- Jecel