[squeak-dev] [4.2] Inbox status

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Dec 25 04:56:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

I finished reviewing the Inbox. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. I tried
to group the related packages and write a short description for them. I
also added some notes. Note that this is _my_ opinion about the
contributions:

We should reject these:
=======================
- Change String >> #isAllDigits to return false on empty string.
 	Packages:
 		Collections-hk.360
 		CollectionsTests-hk.163
 	Notes: String >> #isAllDigits could use #allSatisfy:.

- Derive the authorInitials directly from the authorName
 	Packages:
 		System-ar.329
 	Notes: It turned out to be a bad idea in Pharo: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3395 .

- Add MCPackageManager class >> #obsoletePackageInfos
 	Packages:
 		Monticello-bp.406

- Dynamic building of TheWorldMainDockingBar (with pragmas or specification methods)
 	Packages:
 		Morphic-kb.428
 		Morphic-phite.428
 		Morphic-phite.429
 		Morphic-kb.431
 		Morphic-phite.431
 	Notes: The developement of these solutions stalled. In the meanwhile other features were added, like per project docking bar.

- Installer scripts to load OB and RB
 	Packages:
 		Morphic-hjh.438
 	Notes: These scripts are now obsolete and there's a working Metacello Configuration

We may add these:
=================
- Add String >> #asCamelCase
 	Collections-topa.366
 	CollectionsTests-topa.166

- Pretty Print changes
 	Packages:
 		Compiler-cmm.131
 		Compiler-cmm.132
 	Notes: we should create a configurable pretty printer which uses the visitor pattern (ParseNodeEnumerator?)

- Add #forward: and #turn: to Morph
 	Packages:
 		EToys-rjh.76
 	Notes: should we update the old EToys version in the Trunk?

- Add a menu item each to the world menu and the docking bar which refer to SystemNavigation>>browseMyChanges.
 	Packages:
 		Morphic-cbr.458
 	Notes: Doesn't seem to be very useful to me.

- Network changes from the EToys repository
 	Packages:
 		Network-ul.100
 	Notes:
 		- CogVM doesn't seem to support the new network code
 		- when the new network code is used, SocketStream seems to be broken
 		- ConnectionQueue's multiple port numbers is not supported by the old network code

- Use #authorName instead of #authorInitials in MC
 	Packages:
 		Monticello-ar.394
 	Notes: We shouldn't derive the initials from the author name.

- Enable annotation panes by default
 	Packages:
 		System-tfel.386
 	Notes: it's just a postscript with: Preferences setPreference: #annotationPanes toValue: true.

We should add these:
====================
- Add Singleton class
 	Packages:
 		Kernel-cmm.518
 		Kernel-cmm.519

- ToolBuilerize MC
 	Packages:
 		Monticello-nice.404
 	Notes: If we want to support MVC and/or SimpleMorphic, then we probably want to do this.

- LineMorph class>>from:to:color:width: should return a LineMorph instead of a PolygonMorph
 	Packages:
 		Morphic-spd.469

- Fixes for Latin1Environment from EToys
 	Packages:
 		Multilingual-sn.131

- Fixed category for PackageInfo>>name
 	Packages:
 		PackageInfo-Base-bp.45

- SUnit cleanup
 	Packages:
 		SUnit-spd.82

- Added intention revealing helper method to AppRegistry class>>register:
 	Packages:
 		System-spd.355
 	Notes: Can't be directly merged, because the package also changes unrelated methods (MC bug?)

- Tests for String >> #asSound
 	Packages:
 		Tests-wiz.75

- Remove obsolete PackageInfos from PackageDepencencyTest
 	Packages:
 		Tests-bp.99
 		Tests-bp.100

- Allow the debugger to have no selected context:
 	Packages:
 		Tools-fbs.286
 		Tools-fbs.287
 	Notes: We should refactor this part of the system later.

- Split the too-long-running decompiling of the P and S classes
 	Packages:
 		Tests-fbs.104
 	Notes: We may also increase the timeouts by overriding LongTestCase >> #defaultTimeout

- Use FloatMathPlugin + Signaling NaNs
 	Packages:
 		Exceptions-ar.31
 		Kernel-mtf.527
 		Kernel-ar.528
 		Kernel-ar.529
 		Kernel-ul.530
 		KernelTests-ar.169
 		KernelTests-ar.170
 	Note: There are two failing tests, because earlier "Float infinity sin" returned NaN, but it raises an error with the new code.

To be reviewed/discussed:
=========================
- Fix and unify the behavior of Class >> #declare: and Class >> #addClassVarName:
 	Packages:
 		Kernel-spd.444
 		KernelTests-spd.149
 	Notes: Can't be directly merged, because the packages also change unrelated methods (MC bug?).

- Clean up CompiledMethod's closures protocol
 	Packages:
 		Kernel-mha.498
 		Kernel-mha.499
 		Kernel-mha.500
 		KernelTests-mha.163
 		KernelTests-mha.164
 		KernelTests-mha.167

- Add toggle-full-screen button to the docking bar
 	Packages:
 		Morphic-rhi.439
 	Notes: Andreas added this feature to the Extras menu recently.

- Preserve translucency when rotating a Morph on 32-bit deep displays.
 	Packages:
 		Morphic-cmm.442

- Some URL tests
 	Packages:
 		NetworkTests-fbs.19
 	Notes: the tests send #handlesScheme: which is not in the image

- Some project related URL mangling (see the discussion in the version comment)
 	Packages:
 		System-cao.374
 	Notes: I couldn't reproduce the problem.

I didn't list the recent fixes of Frank Shearar (fbs), but I think we
should add those to the Trunk.

Cheers,
Levente