[squeak-dev] A Bootstrap Compiler

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 15:13:23 UTC 2010

On 28 December 2010 15:54, Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> On 28 December 2010 15:19, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>> can anyone tell me, when last time he had to deal with hardware, which
>> having no preinstalled operating system/BIOS up and running,
>> or there only C compiler and no any other languages which can run on it?
>
> we had that with NXTalk ... but we admittedly cheated a bit by using
> an available open-source minimal OS whose interface our C code
> addressed.
>
>> P.S. i think i know the answer to question why "computer revolution
>> didn't happened yet",
>> because every time people inventing something new, they implementing it in C.
>
> :-)
>
> On the other hand, stacking ever more abstractions on top of each
> other eventually costs an amount of performance that will be noticed.

The key words here is 'on top of' which means an evolutionary approach,
not revolutionary.
Because for revolutionary things, you would use 'instead of' wording.
Every time you building something on top of C, you inheriting its good
and bad traits,
because you can't escape the semantic model, imposed by C language and
its compiler(s).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.