[squeak-dev] Re: Sophie MPEG Player

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 21:04:56 UTC 2010

Sure. Download Sophie-MPEG-Kernel and Sophie-MPEG-Player from the
MultiMedia repo. Then

MPEGMoviePlayerMorph new openInWorld

The buttons can guide you from there. Actually, I think I made a movie
about this. But it is
MPEG only and such. If  you want an example of the QuickTime player
download the example book
from the Sophie site about Macbeth.

What you may want, I think, for Flash is in the OpenCobalt download.
(http://www.opencobalt.org). It comes
with an swf file called actin-myosin.swf, which is an animation. It
plays fine in my Adobe Flash CS5.

The problem I think you're having with it in Sophie is that you're
trying to play a movie. Time was Flash
was for animations only. You may be trying to make it do something it
can't. This stuff is old, dude.

(JMM gets kind of itchy about these conversations, because
we're talking about ancient stuff. The vein of gold runs from
SophieMovie. I'm digging that
out, but asking me why I can't do it overnight is to ask my why I'm
not an advanced programmer.
March 2011 ETA for the Sophie Media Player in Squeak 4.2. There's only
one person who can wake-up and know
all these things without coffee - JMM. i.e. Morphic/Tweak Player,
Process, QuickTime framework,
Carbon/Squeak event management, C, MCGetMovie, FFI,
SophieMovieFramePlayer,SophieQuickTimeMovieViaPlugin,
and the Surface Plugin. But I most certainly digress.)

Chris