[squeak-dev] Re: Sophie MPEG Player

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 00:50:48 UTC 2010

"How did you jump from seeing the Sophie UI to finding that loop?"

You've put your finger on the big question in Tweak: how did this go
from here to there? Tweak teleports the flow of execution from one place
to another using method annotations. Stuff like <on: movieChanged> is
everywhere.

The simple way is to know that anything with <on: movieChanged> is going
to have a correlative method somewhere called #onMovieChanged:.

So, if I'm in SophieMovie>>updateMovie and I see signal: #movieUpdated,
I'm pretty sure there's going to be an #onMovieUpdated somewhere. Using
the MethodFinder, I find one in - you guessed it -
SophieMovieFramePlayer>>onMovieUpdated. It's a kind of convention.

Or you can use the Annotations browser from the same menu as Monticello
Browser. I find knowing the convention more useful than the
AnnotationsBrowser, though.

When Teleplace asks questions of prospective employees "can you get up
to speed quickly with different UIs?" I think they are talking about
this Tweak transporter system that would be at home on the USS Enterprise.

Chris