[squeak-dev] Re: Playing Flash movies in-image

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Dec 30 17:31:04 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-30, at 7:38 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Thanks for all the info John.  I wasn't sure I got the intention of your
> post.  Based on your earlier message, I was thinking that when I started
> cleaning up the port, I would replace SophieResource and the manager with a
> class specifically-designed to hold the meta-data you mentioned.  Was this
> reiterating that or did I miss something?
>
> Sean

No that is correct, in the past people got hung up looking at SophieResourceManager and thinking they had to migrate that monster over.

Since you are in there, and dragging the FFI stuff about you might consider grabbing the clipboard stuff
so that we can copy/paste graphics on windows/mac to/from squeak?

I took a run at it a year back but I'm afraid the Windows community just couldn't care less so I couldn't get any
testers or confirmation  that it worked there.

Today I'd suggest we just abandon them and let them sort it out later.

I put the image & changes at

ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental

pharo.extendedClipboard.2.zip

For image read/writing it uses  SophieImageReadWriter which uses Quicktime's api to translate any supported media types into bitmaps.
If that fails or is not available it just like SophieMovie grinds down a decsion tree to find a supported Squeak plugin or smalltalk code to
decode the supplied mime-type.

PS ya, I see currentMIMETypes := SophieBookEditor clipboardMimeTypes.  but SophieBookEditor is not there and
ExtendedClipboardMacInterface>>copyImageDataFromClipboard   but is that used? or did I replace it with ExternalClipboard

Mmmm don't forget the file get/put dialogs for native file interface. We did both the Windows and the OS-X ones with proper UTF8 255 byte file name support.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882