[squeak-dev] Re: Extended Clipboard

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Dec 31 18:02:55 UTC 2010

The original code, change sets, sunits too. are in
platforms/Mac OS/plugins/ClipboardExtended

At some point the unix code *appeared*

The pharo.extendedClipboard.2.zip is about the 4th rewrite to tackle getting stuff from the clipboard. I note it uses FFI with windows and cheerfully allows
copy/paste of "Graphics" thingees on that platform.

On os-x it is a bit more complicated since microsoft office for example when you copy text data from a page it:
puts the text there as utf8, utf16, rtf, wordsomething, TIFF! (maybe jpeg too).

In this case we actually see textual data and a screen shot of the page! But what to do?  In Sophie how we solved that was that we knew what the target
paste entity was, so we just decided if you were pasting into a graphics target then it was a graphics object, or if into a blank area it was graphics.  However
if it was a text area, then you wanted the text object.

Other issues like if you select a file and copy via the finder that results in a text object, (the file name),  graphic (the icon), and a URI & other constructs to indicate it's a file object...  MMm that was a bit tricky and we decided likely you wanted to paste the contents of the file.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882