[squeak-dev] Re: #nextChunk speedup, the future of multibyte streams

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:19:13 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 February 2010 01:50:05 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 03.02.2010, at 00:13, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> > We should use ByteArray, or better, introduce an UTF8String if it
> > becomes that important.
> > Code will be much much much cleaner and foolproof.
>
> That's what Scratch did ...
A much saner choice, I should say, after reading both Squeak and Scratch
sources. Bytes are strictly for memory objects and have no place in higher
level code. Higher level codes should only deal with encoded bytes - integer,
character (ASCII), string (ASCII), utf8string (UTF8) etc.

Nicolas, why "if it becomes that important" qualifier for UTF-8? Wake up :-).

Subbu