[squeak-dev] Re: about startup

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 19:08:45 UTC 2010

> BTW, I'm *very* happy to see that you've found a way by which you
> feel comfortable contributing to Squeak. Your help is most welcome.

I am not really "comfortable" contributing to squeak...

What I am doing is pursuing my own line of development, a fork if you
will. However I am choosing to do this in an unselfish way, by
discussing ideas, and publishing code in such a way as to be useful to
others.

I disagree with the trunk approach to development, because it
professes to be a community effort to move things forward, however it
is being pursued in the same manner as a fork, whose code is not
published or managed in a state that others can routinely harvest.

I continue to think that the tools are unhelpful in this process.
Cuis2.0 adds a new dimension to this, since it doesn't have any tools!
It forces you to think simply, and more importantly to think beyond
the constraints of Monticello, and Mantis.

This new batch of tools I am developing for publishing and maintaining
slices of kernel functionality within Cuis, can also be used to
routinely extract slices of functionality out of Squeak and Pharo. So
if I find something I do like, I will be able to extract it, and track
its development.

If successful in their minimalization efforts, Pharo, and Squeak will
eventually become minimal kernels, having no tools of their own, and
this way of thinking may become strangely relevant once more.

Keith