[squeak-dev] Daily Commit Log

commits at source.squeak.org commits at source.squeak.org
Sat Feb 13 23:55:08 UTC 2010

Changes to Trunk (http://source.squeak.org/trunk.html) in the last 24 hours:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002666.html

Name: Kernel-nice.394
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.393

Comment the NumberParser classes and subclasses.
Add an ExtendedNumberParser that can read all Squeak numbers plus numbers like these:

+1
+1.
+1.e-2
1.e+2
.1
-.1e3
3r.02
3r-1.e-2
.1s2
+1.s3

Cerise sur le gâteau:
   +10r+1.e+2
(use only if you really feel positive)

Now we just have to decide where to connect this ExtendedNumberParser.
It cannot be used in Parser because it would currently gobble the sentence period separator after a digit....
Either we connect it directly in String>>#asNumber
Or we change Parser to use a #smalltalkReadFrom: or SqNumberParser instead of Number>>#readFrom:.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002667.html

Name: Kernel-nice.395
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.394

Arrange for ExtendedNumberParser to return the valid leading number instead of failing because of invalid radix
Example:
'1r' -> 1
'2r3' -> 2

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002668.html

Name: KernelTests-nice.130
Ancestors: KernelTests-nice.129

Some tests for the ExtendedNumberParser

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002669.html

Name: KernelTests-nice.131
Ancestors: KernelTests-nice.130

Tests for reading  long numbers from http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6982

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002670.html

Name: Kernel-nice.396
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.395

Now read Float "exactly" (answer nearest Float) by using SqNumberParser.
This solves http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6982
This requires a fix of Float initialize, otherwise the old max float literal would overflow.

As mentionned by John McIntosh, this change has side effects and makes a few tests fail:
1) reading an invalid number raise an Error rather than answering 0
2) undocumented syntax .1e2 and 1.e2 are no more accepted

IMO, we should not fix 1), we should fix the users. For this we provide a #readFrom:ifFail:
We can fix 2) later by using ExtendedNumberParser where due.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002671.html

Name: Collections-nice.306
Ancestors: Collections-cmm.305

Patch the ugly RunArray scanFrom: which did expect reading an invalid integer would answer 0.
Note: i find it ugly for other reasons...

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002672.html

Name: KernelTests-nice.132
Ancestors: KernelTests-nice.131

Change the expectations: reading some malformed number will now fail and raise an Error, not answer 0

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002673.html

Name: EToys-dtl.59
Ancestors: EToys-nice.58

Remove explicit MVC dependency from StandardScriptingSystem>>prepareForExternalReleaseNamed:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002674.html

Name: KernelTests-nice.133
Ancestors: KernelTests-nice.132

Test coercion in case of ScaledDecimal arithmetic.
I expect the same policy for Integer and Fraction.
Rationale: (1/1) is a Fraction represented as an Integer, so we cannot really dissociate the two behaviors.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002675.html

Name: Graphics-dtl.106
Ancestors: Graphics-dtl.105

Remove explicit references to MVC Paragraph from TextPrinter.
Note - TextPrinter is used only by Paragraph in the image but appears to be of general utility.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002676.html

Name: Morphic-dtl.340
Ancestors: Morphic-cmm.339

Remove explicit reference to MVC Switch from PluggableButtonMorph class>>example.
Implement MorphicProject>>showImage:named: to eliminate MVC/Morphic dependency in HTTPSocket.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002677.html

Name: Network-dtl.59
Ancestors: Network-ar.58

Vector HTTPSocket>>showImage:named: through Project to eliminate MVC/Morphic dependencies.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002678.html

Name: Kernel-nice.397
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.396

Change coercion policy: a Fraction is now converted to ScaledDecimal when involved with ScaledDecimal arithmetic as would an Integer do.
Rationale: (1/1) is a Fraction represented as an Integer, so we cannot really dissociate the two behaviors.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002679.html

Name: ST80-dtl.105
Ancestors: ST80-dtl.104

Implement MVCProject>>showImage:named: to eliminate MVC/Morphic dependency in HTTPSocket.
Update various method comments in FillInTheBlank to encourage use of UIManager default.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002680.html

Name: System-dtl.250
Ancestors: System-dtl.249

Implement Project>>showImage:named: to eliminate MVC/Morphic dependency in HTTPSocket.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002681.html

Name: ToolBuilder-Kernel-dtl.31
Ancestors: ToolBuilder-Kernel-mtf.30

Add UIManager>>request:initialAnswer:centerAt: to remove MVC dependency from MessageSet.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002682.html

Name: ToolBuilder-MVC-dtl.18
Ancestors: ToolBuilder-MVC-ar.17

Add MVCUIManager>>request:initialAnswer:centerAt: to remove MVC dependency from MessageSet.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002683.html

Name: ToolBuilder-Morphic-dtl.50
Ancestors: ToolBuilder-Morphic-ar.49

Add MorphicUIManager>>request:initialAnswer:centerAt: to remove MVC dependency from MessageSet.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002684.html

Name: Tools-dtl.182
Ancestors: Tools-dtl.181

Remove dependency on MVC FillInTheBlank from MessageSet.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002685.html

Name: KernelTests-nice.134
Ancestors: KernelTests-nice.133

Add some tests for hash and = disagreement.
Also for problems of non transitivity of =
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3360
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3374

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002686.html

Name: Kernel-nice.398
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.397

Fix
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3360
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3374
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6601

hash and = are now reconciled for numbers.
= is now transitive for numbers.

WARNING: now, tests like (1/10 = 0.1) will answer false.
This is expected, and more than expected, this is wanted.
Float are inexact and testing for strict equality is not a clever thing to do.
All this has been longly debated at http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.pharo.devel/10642
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.sapphire.devel/10223/focus=10228

Please, read carefully this thread to make an opinion before raising your voice.
It can break code eventually,  so I'm all ears to real case, and willing to help fixing. But please, real examples, not theoretical (after 8 month change in Pharo, I'm not aware of further complaints).

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002687.html

Name: Kernel-nice.399
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.398

Merge minor changes from Pharo.
Correct a bug (concatenating aString , aCharacter)

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002688.html

Name: CollectionsTests-nice.143
Ancestors: CollectionsTests-nice.142

Change expectation of Association hash
Same key, different value will never lead to a different hash now.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002689.html

Name: Morphic-nice.341
Ancestors: Morphic-dtl.340

remove fixTemps
move a temp declaration inside blocks

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002690.html

Name: ScriptLoader-nice.331
Ancestors: ScriptLoader-nice.330

It is useless to assign block argument with nil

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002691.html

Name: Morphic-cmm.342
Ancestors: Morphic-nice.341

- Added four useful hot-keys to SmalltalkEditor.  Cmd+1 - Cmd+4 will paste that method argument into the method.

Rationale:  Productivity.  When typing method source, you almost always need to utilize the incoming arguments, it is therefore very convenient to be able to do so with one hot-key.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002692.html

Name: XML-Parser-nice.25
Ancestors: XML-Parser-nice.24

move a temp assignment outside block

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002693.html

Name: XML-Parser-nice.27
Ancestors: XML-Parser-nice.26

merge XML-Parser-Alexandre_Bergel.20

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002694.html

Name: System-cmm.251
Ancestors: System-dtl.250

- Enhanced browser invocation from a text-editor via Cmd+B.  The system is now aware that Type-Suggesting Parameter Names, a long-recognized Smalltalk best-practice, will frequently be used to spawn a browser.  Therefore, gross-motor skills (vs. fine) can be now used to spawn browsers on type-suggesting method-arguments, conserving developer time and energy.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002695.html

Name: Kernel-nice.400
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.399

Change the policy for conversions to ScaledDecimal
Always honour the number of decimal places (scale) passed as argument to asScaledDecimal:

When no scale is passed, uses strictly necessary number of decimal places if the number is exact (not Float) and if a finite decimal representation exists.
Otherwise uses the default of 8 decimal places.

This makes more sense IMO than previous implementation. Integer version was screwing the user by not fulfiling the requested number of decimal places, I can't believe it was the right interpretation of the ANSI standard.... Or someone gives me a good rationale.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002696.html

Name: KernelTests-nice.135
Ancestors: KernelTests-nice.134

1) Change the expectations for conversions to ScaledDecimal according to new policy.
2) Add a SqNumberParser testfrom Pharo

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002697.html

Name: Exceptions-ar.20
Ancestors: Exceptions-cmm.19

Adds DuplicateVariableError to indicate that a (class, instance) variable is both used in superclass and subclass.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002698.html

Name: Kernel-ar.401
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.400

Raise DuplicateVariableError in ClassBuilder.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002699.html

Name: KernelTests-ar.136
Ancestors: KernelTests-nice.135

Refactor ClassBuilderTest, removing separate ClassBuilderChangeClassTypeType and ClassBuilderFormatTest (now all part of ClassBuilderTest)

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002700.html

Name: Exceptions-ar.21
Ancestors: Exceptions-ar.20

Introduce Exception>>defaultReturnValue and Exception>>defaultResumeValue to provide default values for argument-less #resume or #return. The motivation is that catch-all handler may not be aware of specific return / resume values required by some exceptions. The protocol allows these exceptions to provide a reasonable default value for those situations.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002701.html

Name: Compiler-ar.118
Ancestors: Compiler-ar.117

Provide a defaultResumeValue for UndeclaredVariableWarning.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002702.html

Name: Monticello-ar.364
Ancestors: Monticello-nice.363

Some fixes for Monticello:
- Deal with nil subclasses properly
- Handle DuplicateVariableError to allow moving variables between subclasses and superclasses when reshaping classes
- Load errorDefinitions right away since any delayed class definitions should be present before methods can be loaded.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002703.html

Name: Collections-ar.307
Ancestors: Collections-nice.306

Merge class Generator from http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/continuations/Generator-ar.5.mcz

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002704.html

Name: CollectionsTests-ar.144
Ancestors: CollectionsTests-nice.143

Merge class GeneratorTest from http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/continuations/Generator-ar.5.mcz

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2010-February/002705.html

Name: System-ar.252
Ancestors: System-cmm.251

Use withBlanksTrimmed, not trimBlanks (which doesn't exist in Squeak).