Hi Chris, stop messing with the windows please (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.344.mcz)

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Mon Feb 15 08:52:25 UTC 2010

While the changes to opening MC are dubious (in my book) but relatively
harmless, applying the same process to hierarchy browsers stinks.

As I use hierarchy browsers quite a lot, I absolutely DO NOT appreciate
having one that gets reused, losing my previous selection - example:

from the class browser open HB on Array
in the HB, select another class, say ArrayedCollection
in the original class browser, hit the hierarchy button again
and watch the HB being reused and switched to look at Array

I don't advocate writing even more 'smart' code trying to figure out when
to reuse a browser and when not. Just give me a new one, easy.

I'd like to know
1) why you think these changes are good
2) why you push them onto the general mankind(*)
3) why is this not a preference (turned off by default)
4) where will this stop? one window to rule them all? :p

Regards, rado

(*) as I understand it, the trunk process is there for easy pushing of
bugfixes or enhacements to the core squeak, not for aligning core squeak
with one's personal preferences so that they don't have to be
loaded/patched when starting with a new image