[squeak-dev] Re: Hi Chris, stop messing with the windows please

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:45:32 UTC 2010

> Do we have something like "Exposé for the mac" for Squeak yet, where I can
> push a button and everything slides into sensible non-overlapping reduced
> versions and I can select one of them to bring it to the top?  That'd rock.

I haven't seen Exposé, but it sounds like it has the same problem
though.  First that the user is forced to visually scan through a
bunch of windows to answer the following questions.

  1)  "Do I already have a window (minimized or not) that meets my needs?"
  2)  "Is the state of the window such that it can be browsed freely
or is it one in which I've got some unaccepted edits?

Besides being instrusive and distracting, to me, it is just wrong,
fundamentally, for a human to be burdened with such questions that the
machine is able to so easily answer.

Secondly, that if the window _isn't_ there, then you've wasted time
looking and now you have to backtrack (at least mentally) and go find
how to open it.  Shouldn't the just do all of this for me?

But hey, I'll bet Apple gave it a really neato graphical effect on
that Mac!   ;-)

What I want, and what the Reuse Windows preference provides, is a
continuous train-of-thought uninterrupted by fiddling with windows and
widgets..

 - Chris