[squeak-dev] Why is the squeak gui slow? New clues.

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 18:38:39 UTC 2010

Most of the time squeak is fast enough. Every so often the gui slows down to a crawl. The user moves the mouse around and the gui will not respond the way it did a moment ago. Movements feel spastic. The user overshoots the mark, moves back, over shoots again. Gradually learning to pause ...a...long...time...between...very...small...movements.

I was recently trying to program some improvements and did something I think sheds a light on the reason.

I was fooling with the handles for a star morph. There are only 6 of them. Currently they all are individual submorphs of the star itself. However it seemed it would simplify things if there was only one handle. The center handle would make a good holder for the other five.

When I finally got that working I ran into the problem that I mentioned in the first paragraph. The mouse gui became extremely retarded (in the time sense). This is consistent with what happens if you should run a mouse over true type fonts or flash morphs. The event processing slows down till it is painful to adjust to.

My previous thought was that only massive pixel processing (large amount of screen updates) would cause a gui slowdown. Now however I am beginning to realize that event dispatch must be a prime suspect as well.

That's all the info I have at the moment. I pass this along incase someone has some confirming or alternate information.