[squeak-dev] Why is the squeak gui slow? New clues.

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 05:28:21 UTC 2010

On 17 February 2010 06:42, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, I never noticed those shadows.
>
> This is so "Squeak" wouldn't you say!?  Subtle (1 pixel!), refined
> (because the designer still cared enough for the difference in look),
> and, sorry to say, apparently slower!  :-/
>
> Hm, a 10-20% improvement in world drawing speed or a 1-pixel shadow?
> I find it hard to not want to cash in those shadows..

Well, this inefficiency can be optimized by implementing clever
#drawDropShadowOn: for system window
to not use default implementation, which does ... well you can see
what it does by issuing:

World allMorphsDo: [:m | m drawDropShadowOn: World assuredCanvas ]

So, we could have a cake, and eat it too (in shadow ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.