[squeak-dev] I Want Keith Hodges Banned

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Wed Feb 17 08:07:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 19:53 -0500, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> I think it's time.

> Keith Hodges has boundless energy for conflict. This has been going on
> for a couple of months now. He lies low and then he catches the ear of
> some people and energy from some very talented board members gets
> drained into the sands of nothing. This is a cycle that is going to
> repeat itself like a sine wave. I want him banned.
>

> Chris Cunnington

I concur. This mailing list is more than a forum for Squeak developers.
It is the principle means of providing technical support to Squeak
users. "The primary mailing list for anyone interested in programming in
Squeak. It is a lively and busy forum for discussion on all things
related to Squeak!" (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/608)

Last spring I was planning to teach a high school class on Squeak, which
would have included subscribing to this list, even if only to lurk. What
an embarrassment this group has become; I would have to begin every
class with an apology. "Lively and busy" are not synonymous with whining
and vindictive.

In a user support mailing list, people need to be treated with respect,
and they need to see others treated that way. Every list has its upsets,
but the acrimonious atmosphere that has engulfed this list since Keith
Hodges began posting will, without a doubt, drive away all but the most
determined readers. I am not qualified to pass judgment on any
individual or faction here, but one thing is undeniably true: we are
worse off for allowing this to go on.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com